Thursday 24 October 2013

Hello and Welcome!

For a while now I have been trying to think what would make an interesting and focussed blog for people to really enjoy? What's my thing? It dawned on me - SECOND HAND SHOPPING. Yes, my thing is second handing in general - charity shops. car boot sales, table top sales, junk yards, swishing, etc).

The beginning.. 
It all started with a love of vintage - my Mum and Dad used to play the Chordettes, the Ink Spots, Ella Fitzgerald and Phil Spector's Christmas album in the house all the time. Once when I was off school with a bad cold my Mum got hold of a Doris Day box set and I watched The Thrill of it All which pretty much changed my life. I became obsessed with old movies and loved Gone with the Wind more than any teenager should.

Then I went to university and worked in a department store part time. It sold lots of expensive clothes which were probably made using child labour. I started to dislike the highstreet and question the provenance of my clothes.

Now
I work in the arts for the good of my soul but I don't have much money, and the little money I do make needs to be spent going to the theatre and decent bottles of wine. SO - there you have it - it all adds perfectly - a way to hunt vintage clothes, be an ethical shopper (or hunter, as second-handing is all about the hunt) and be thrifty.

And so, that's that - I hope you enjoy hearing about the things I've found.

Here's my favourite dressing gown which was handed down to me from my grandmother, in my neatly decorated room using vintage wallpaper which was 25p per roll:


No comments:

Post a Comment